The Global Controller is responsible for providing day-to-day leadership for the Company’s accounting operations, establishing and maintaining an adequate system of accounting records and related control environment, managing financial reporting requirements, treasury management and supporting the budgeting & forecasting activities. Responsible for managing a Global team with multi-locations and multi-business segments.
Typical Job Duties
- Oversee the Global monthly, quarterly and annual accounting consolidation and close processes to produce accurate and timely financial statements.
- Design, develop and implement accounting policies and procedures to ensure timely and accurate financial reports and strong internal controls.
- Develop systems and procedures to ensure the efficient and effective management of the company’s finances.
- Acts as a thought leader by providing analytical insight and support to the CFO, leadership team and operating management. Develop high quality financial analysis to provide context and insight to decision makers across the company. Serve as a strategic lead in developing, implementing, and maintaining best-in-class information technology for finance.
- Develop relationship with business leaders in the organization, to facilitate provision of financial advisory services and counsel those colleagues for the purpose of reviewing and improving financial performance, identification of emerging trends, gaps/opportunities and their resolution in support of their business unit objectives.
- Assists in developing budgets and forecasts in partnership with the business. Works with finance team to establish consolidated budget process including departmental, regional and consolidated budget reviews, preparing forecasts, and analyzing performance.
- Manage annual audit and serve as primary liaison to the independent auditors, ensuring successful audit completion within established timeframe.
- Review, document and maintain a testable internal financial control environment.
- Recommend and implement changes that will improve the company’s financial performance and financial controls.
- Research, interpret, and document accounting positions based on technical standards regarding accounting issues, including business combinations and acquisitions, revenue recognition, stock, compensation expense, contract accounting, and international operations.
- Responsible for all external financial reporting, including relevant SEC filings (if applicable), lender deliverables, as well as internal financial statements and analysis, Board of Director and investor reporting packs, and other recurring financial reports, ensuring accuracy, completeness and timely analysis of the results.
- Participate in the due diligence of potential acquisitions and lead the integration of the accounting function for newly acquired companies.
- Provide strong leadership in the recruitment, training and development of top quality financial talent to ensure the finance organization has a high level of performance and productivity. Build, manage, develop, and mentor Finance staff, helping to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals. Build moral, motivate and instill productivity and teamwork, create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Identify, track and report on key financial and non-financial performance metrics; work with the team to analyze trends and develop and implement changes to drive improvements
- Provide oversight and coordination of the activities of domestic and international Financial Directors/Controllers to ensure consistency of procedures, standardization of processes and reporting, and adherence to financial policies and practices.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Manages tax and legal related requirements.
- Ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
- Lead “performance projects” as assigned by the CFO to guide the management team toward an increase in efficiency and profitability.
- As necessary, train the management team to use reports and to understand how to use the information in the reports to take positive action.
- “Inspire” through loyalty, discipline, and respect for ALL personnel across the Company.
- Other projects/tasks as assigned by the CEO or CFO.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or Economics. Master’s Degree Preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of finance/accounting experience, with at least 5 to 10 years of Controller level experience. Experience in both corporate and operational finance roles.
- MBA, CMA, CGMA, and/or CPA are highly preferred, along with Big Four public accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, consolidations, foreign currencies, accounting for income taxes (FAS109), international taxation including transfer pricing, treasure and risk management.
- Industry background in Cosmetics/Consumer Products a plus
- Strong technical accounting skills, including solid SEC experience and sound understanding of internal controls requirements as they apply to financial reporting
- Strong leadership skills. Able to inspire and motivate others to perform well, and effectively influences actions and opinions of others. Creates a sense of team spirit and helps to create a positive work environment. Experience building teams and improving processes
- Excellent communication skills. Able to speak and write clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, capable of listening and obtaining clarification. Strong presentation skills with ability to present to senior management, Board or outside partners.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability, developing and implementing cost saving measures; aligns work with strategic goals
- Able to challenge the status quo and drive through changes, with experience in building and improving processes.
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, change approach or method to best fit the situation, able to deal with change, delays or unexpected events.
- Experience working in an international, matrixed company, managing a global team located in different countries
- Experience integrating M&A activity, including the accounting systems/operations of acquisitions
- High energy and enthusiasm, with a desire to be part of and share in value creation and realization.
- Must have a strong service orientation to support anticipated business growth.
- Must be detail oriented and hands on while also being able to contribute at a conceptual and strategic level.
The Company is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis (“protected class”) including, but not limited to: race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, breastfeeding, gender identification or expression, disability, liability for military service, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing).